The File Browser is used in all the file-related operations. It has multiple use cases, while it’s often used for save/load.
- Opening and saving blend-files.
- Importing/exporting other file formats.
- Picking new locations for existing file paths (images, video, fonts…).
- Browsing inside other blend-files, when using Linked Libraries.
You can also keep the File Browser open, as with any other editor type, to browse through the file system. In this case, confirm/cancel buttons will be absent.
The main purpose of this is to be able to drag media files:
- Images into the Video Editing (to set background or apply as material textures).
- Media files into the Video Editing.
On the other hand, if the File Browser is opened for a file action (opening, saving, importing, etc.), it will appear maximized and waiting for an operation to complete before returning to the former screen layout.
- Navigation icon buttons
Tools for navigation of files.
- Left Arrow Backspace
- Move to previous folder.
- Right Arrow Shift-Backspace
- Move to next folder.
- Up Arrow P
- Move up to parent directory.
- Cycle Arrows R, NumpadPeriod
- Refresh current folder.
- Create Directory
- Prompts you to enter the name of a newly created directory inside the current one I.
The number of directory levels to show at once in a flat way.
- None (only the current directory)
- Blend File (inside blend-files)
- One level
- Two Levels
- Three levels
- Display type
Controls how files are displayed.
- Short list
- Detailed list
- Thumbnails (show previews)
- Display size
The size of thumbnails or the width of columns.
Tiny, small, normal, large
Sorts files by on of the following methods:
- By file type
- By date of last edit
- By file size
- Show hidden
- Shows hidden files (starting with
- File filtering
- File Type
Filters files by type.
- Backup blend-files
- Image files
- Movie files
- Script files
- Font files
- Sound files
- Text files
- Data-Block Type
- Data-block type filtering inside blend-files.
- Search field
- Filter files by name.
- File Path
- The text field for the current path. Tab will auto-complete an existing path. If you type a non existing directory path, you will be prompted to create that new directory.
- File Name
- Text field to edit the file name and extension. If the background is red, a file with same name already exist in the folder. Tab will auto-complete to existing names in the current directory.
- Increment Filename
- Adds/increases or removes/decreases a trailing number to your file name (used to make versions of a file).
The main button to Open Directory/File or Save (As) Return or double-click with LMB on the entry confirms with that file or data-block.
- Shift-LMB – Open the file externally (selected in File Paths).
- Alt-LMB – Open the directory externally (using the system’s file manager).
- Cancels the Open or Save file selection and closes the File Browser Esc or by using the Back to Previous in the Info editor header.
The left region displays different ways to find files and several options. Clicking with LMB on one of the entries, the File Browser will navigate to that folder.
The system panel contains a list of drives that are available to navigate through to find files.
Bookmarks that are common for a particular operating system.
A List View of shortcuts to folders, that you want to be able to access often without having to navigate to them in the File Browser.
- This button adds the current directory to the list.
This is a list of recently accessed folders. You can control how many folders appear in this list by going to the File tab of the Preferences, in the Recent Files number button.
- Both LMB and RMB works.
- (De)select All A
- Toggles selecting all files.
- Dragging with LMB starts a border selection.
It is also possible to select/deselect files by „walking“ through them using the arrow keys:
- Just using an arrow key, the next file in the chosen direction will be selected and all others deselected.
- Holding down Shift while doing this does not deselect anything so it extends to the selection, plus it allows to deselect files by navigating into a block of already selected ones (minimum two files in sequence).
- Holding down Shift-Ctrl further selects/deselects all files in between.
If no file is selected, the arrow key navigation selects the first or last file in the directory, depending on the arrow direction.
If you select a directory and hit Return, you will go into that directory (and highlighting ‚parent‘ entry will bring you up one level).
- Delete Files Delete, X
- Delete the currently selected files.
- Rename Ctrl-LMB
- Can be used on a file or directory to rename it.