The Wireframe Modifier transforms a mesh into a wireframe by iterating over its faces, collecting all edges and turning those edges into four sided polygons. Be aware of the fact that your mesh needs to have faces to be wireframed. You can define the thickness, the material and several other parameters of the generated wireframe dynamically via the given modifier options.
- The depth or size of the wireframes.
- A value between (-1 to 1) to change whether the wireframes are generated inside or outside the original mesh. Set to zero, Offset will center the wireframes around the original edges.
- Vertex Group
Restrict the modifier to only this vertex group.
- Inverts the vertex group weights.
- Percentage that the vertex has influence over the final wireframe result.
- Crease Edges
This option is intended for usage with the Subdivision Modifier. Enable this option to crease edges on their junctions and prevent large curved intersections.
- Crease Weight
- Define how much crease (0 to 1) (no to full) the junctions should receive.
- Even Thickness
- Maintain thickness by adjusting for sharp corners. Sometimes improves quality but also increases computation time.
- Relative Thickness
- Determines the edge thickness by the length of the edge. Longer edges will be thicker.
- Creates wireframes on mesh island boundaries.
- Replace Original
- If this option is enabled, the original mesh is replaced by the generated wireframe. If not, the wireframe is generated on top of it.
- Material Offset
- Uses the chosen material index as the material for the wireframe; this is applied as an offset from the first material.
Wireframe thickness is an approximation. While Even Thickness should yield good results in many cases, skinny faces can cause ugly spikes. In this case you can either reduce the extreme angles in the geometry or disable the Even Thickness option.
In this example, the wireframes carry a second (dark) material while the displaced plane uses its original one.
The weights of the vertex group gradually change from 0 to 1.
Cube with enabled Crease Edges option. The Crease Weight is set to 0, 0.5 and 1.