Duplication Group or DupliGroup allows you to create an instance of a group for each instance of another object. DupliGroups may contain animations, objects with physics simulations and even other nested DupliGroups.
- Create a Group:
- Selecting the objects to be grouped.
- Create a new group .
- Rename your group in the Properties editor: .
- Create a new Group Instance:
- Change the Group Instance of existing objects:
- In the Properties editor: , enable Group.
- Select the name of your newly created group.
At this point, an instance of the group and an empty object will appear. You can duplicate the empty, and the DupliGroup settings will be preserved for each empty. This way, you can get multiple copies of linked data very easily.
Making a DupliGroup Object Real¶
Say you want to make further edits on a DupliGroup instance: Simply select your DupliGroup and press Shift-Ctrl-A to convert the DupliGroup into regular objects that can be transformed and animated normally.
Note that if the DupliGroup was linked from an external file, the Object Data (mesh, materials, textures, transforms) will also still be linked from the original group. However, the various object’s parent-child relationships do not carry over.