New objects can be created with the Add menu in the 3D View's header.
- Meshes are objects composed of Polygonal Faces, Edges and/or Vertices, and can be edited extensively with Blender's mesh editing tools. See Mesh Primitives.
- Curves are mathematically defined objects which can be manipulated with control handles or control points (instead of vertices), to manage their length and curvature. See Curves Primitives.
- Surfaces are patches that are also manipulated with control points. These are useful for simple rounded forms and organic landscapes. See Surfaces Primitives.
- Meta Objects (or Metaballs) are objects formed by a mathematical function (with no control points or vertices) defining the 3D volume in which the object exists. Meta Objects have a liquid-like quality, where when two or more Metaballs are brought together, they merge by smoothly rounding out the connection, appearing as one unified object. See Meta Primitives.
- Text objects create a two-dimensional representation of a string of characters.
- Grease Pencil
- Grease Pencil Objects are objects created by painting strokes.
- Armatures are used for rigging 3D models in order to make them poseable and animateable.
- Lattices are non-renderable wireframes, commonly used for taking additional control over other objects with help of the Lattice Modifier.
- Empties are null objects that are simple visual transform nodes that do not render. They are useful for controlling the position or movement of other objects.
- Images are Empty objects that display images in the 3D Viewport. These images can be used to support modelling and animating.
- Lights for lighting the scene in renders.
- Light Probe
- Lights are used by the EEVEE render engine and record lighting information for indirect lighting.
- This is the virtual camera that is used to determine what appears in the render. See Cameras in Cycles.
- Speaker brings a source of sound to the scene.
- Force Field
- Force Fields are used in physical simulations. They give simulations external forces, creating movement, and are represented in the 3D View editor as small control objects.
- Collection Instance
- Lets you select from a list of existing collections. Once selected, an Empty object will be created, with an instance of the selected collection (collection duplication active). See DupliGroup.
You can change the options of the object in the Operator panel just after creating it:
- Some objects let you change their type after creation with a selector.
- Sets the starting size.
- Align to View
- By default objects are aligned to the global space axes. This option rotates the new object so that it is aligned to the view space.
- Objects are placed, by default, at the position of the 3D Cursor. These values let you place the object in an other position.
- Values let you rotate the object so that default rotation is overridden.